Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chapter 7

Chapter 7



The time following our meeting in the park passed like a blur. I let that little practical voice in my head take over, my body going into auto-pilot. It was the same as it was before I’d ever met him – wake up, go to work, come home to Trebeck and a cranky cat, pretend to sleep. Die a little more inside, every moment. When I look back at it now, I chalk it up to shock. Between the information I had gathered and the things he had done to me, it was no wonder that I was having a difficult time coping. At the time, I had convinced myself that I was just fine. I was just re-integrating myself into society after some horrifying experience that was likely all just a bad dream anyway. That makes me sound like I was some kind of criminal, but to be honest, that is kind of how I felt.

My mind told me that I had to atone for my sins. It insisted that this all happened because of me, because I hadn’t been able to control my damn curiosity. The more logical part of my mind argued that there was nothing to apologize for, that I had done nothing wrong. But the little bitch was adamant. ‘They all know, Alexandra. Look! Mr. Mason know what you did, the things you learned from that monster. Your mother knows and Annie knows, they all know. Do you really think that God will forgive that? You know what he is capable of – he showed you intimately what he can and will do – and you just let him walk away. He will kill innocent people and it will be partially your fault for not stopping him. I hope you are happy now.’

I have to admit that I felt guilty over all of it. He had told me time and again that he was a monster and that he could and would hurt people, and still I had pushed him. I had known what he was capable of, so why in the world had I continued to poke and prod at him. The look in his eyes kept coming back to haunt me. That look he’d had when he tried to explain to me that he had never wanted to be the monster he was, and the sound in his voice as he tried to apologize for his actions. He was not a man that was accustomed to apologizing for his actions, that much had been obvious. Yes, he was a monster – that much had been made abundantly clear – but he was still the only one that I knew in this strange new world I had stumbled into. As much as I loathed the thought, and it was a thought that had been the inspiration for many nightmares, I was seriously considering contacting him again. We hadn’t finished our business together.

I finally understood what he had been telling me all along. Even if I wanted to leave all of this behind me, there was no way that I could ignore the information I knew. There was no way I could escape, I had seen too much. Even if I could, where would I go? Where could I go that would ever feel safe again, knowing what I knew.

Opening my eyes to the true world around me was nothing that I would ever be able to escape. Knowing that Vampires truly existed opened the door to all kinds of nasty creatures from Hollywood – werewolves, wizards, ghosts and goblins, Oh my! Little did I know at the time that my brief liaison with Ciaran would mark me and stick with me for far longer then I had anticipated.

Two weeks after the failed meeting with Ciaran, my boss called me into his office. My work was still suffering and I knew it, though I had been trying, nothing just seemed to fall into place. The lack of sleep and the constant worry and fear had left me mentally and physically exhausted, and I knew that I was unable to perform the way I was expected to. He looked at me as I sat down, tapping his pen quietly on his desk. After a moment he shook his head, speaking quietly to me. I knew that something was horribly wrong the moment I stepped into his office and saw the look he gave me.

“You need some time off, Alexandra.”

Yeap, there it was. The final ax falling. Good-bye lovely job, so-long pension plan. I sight, shaking my head, scrambling to explain, “I’m fine, Luke, really. It’s nothing. I’m just under a lot of stress, but I’ll get better, I promise. I’m ok, I really am.”

He scowled, glaring at me. We had worked together for 3 years, and he knew my habits better then that, “Don’t tell me its nothing, Lexy. I know you better then that. There is something eating at you and has been for the past 2 months. Hell, in the three years you’ve been here, you have taken less sick days combined then you have the past two months. So don’t tell me there is nothing wrong, because it is obvious there is.”

I tried to interrupt him, trying to save the job I’d worked so hard for, “Luke…”

“No, Lexy. You are taking a week off. You know that I am here if you ever need to talk about it, but I’m not going to push you into it. You are going to take some of that paid time off you have accrued. At least a week, more if you need it. Not only have you deserved it, but you need to take it Lexy. I don’t know what is going on with you, but it’s affecting your work and it is obviously affecting your life.”

“Luke…I’m sorry. I’ll…I’ll try harder. I can be back on Monday and I will be better, I promise.”

He sighed, giving me a look that was purely concern, “That isn’t what I want to hear, Lex. I want to hear you tell me that you are going to take a week off – hell maybe even two – drive off to a cabin in the mountains or something, and just get away from whatever it is that is making you so damn crazy. If you need more time, just call me. You are our best paralegal and we need you. Things are slow right now, so it’s best that you take off now.”

Luke Ardley had never been a man I could argue with. Greater people had tried and failed. From the look on his face, I knew he was only doing it out of concern and love for me. There was no point in pushing it – I would just end up losing my job permanently if I did that. I just sighed and nodded to him, “Ok, ok. I’ll take some time…just a week, though. And I’ll have my cell phone if you guys need me.”

He gave me a smile and shook his head, “We won’t, Lex. I already told Sharon to take over your cases. We’ll be ok here.”

With that, I was dismissed. Knowing that I was free of work and the stress was a mixed blessing. I wouldn’t have to slave over work that was being shoddily done, but I’d also lost that small distraction, and that was more then just a little terrifying. Every night for the past two weeks, I’d woken with nightmares of Ciaran. They were never exactly the same, but they were similar enough to be a little unsettling. He would find me and harm me – just for the pleasure of seeing the pain on my face as he tortured me. Every night I would wake up drenched in sweat and tears and screaming and I’d crawl into the living room where I watched bad infomercials and hugged my body pillow tight until the sun rose. Screw driving me insane – I was already there, and I had no idea how to undo the damage that had been done to me.

So I bit the bullet and took Luke’s advice. I didn’t have much of a choice after all. Ciaran knew where I lived, and I was sure that he had been watching me. I couldn’t spend the next however long waiting for him to strike, always wondering when I would see him again. I had this sneaking suspicion that the next time I saw him would be my last. I found myself a little house on the shore of Lake Michigan and I rented it for the next two weeks. It was cut off from the rest of the world – still too early for the heavy tourist season to hit, I was guaranteed a quiet little vacation isolated from everyone. I hoped that the distance would give me a chance to recover some of my sanity and give me time to think and plan my next move.

The first three days passed without incident. The cabin was rustic, gorgeous, and perfect for me. I spent my mornings reading all of the trashy novels I’d been putting off for years, my afternoons relaxing on the dock by the lake, and my evenings curled up in front of the fire with a book or a movie playing on my laptop and a wine cooler. The owner hadn’t been lying when he’d told me it was peaceful, and the quiet of the place was letting me regain a bit of my old self. It was so comforting to be able to sleep a full night without worrying who was watching through my window.

My mind had seemed to quiet as soon as I left the city limits, and I found that I’d been able to go for hours out of my lazy days without sparing a thought for the handsome Irish man old enough to be my ancestor. It was nice to be rid of him, though I knew that it was only temporary. Eventually, I would have to return to my real life in Chicago and face my fears.

The morning of the fourth day dawned slightly overcast and chilly, a wind blowing off the lake into the small cabin. I’d woken with the rising sun, and seeing the weather, I promptly curled up under the massive down comforter I’d brought with me. I was roused later by someone pounding on my front door, the sound of a large diesel engine idling in my drive.

I felt that old familiar fear grip my chest, until I realized it was light out, and Ciaran would never be polite enough to knock. I slid out of bed, pulling my satin dressing robe tight around my body and peering out. An elderly man stood out there, his back towards the door as he examined the lake with a brutal eye. He was tall, large, and had a thick beard that fell down his chest. He reminded me of my grandfather. He turned back to knock again, just as I was opening the door, frowning deeply up at him.

“Excuse me, can I help you?”

“Aye! There you are, Ma’am. I’m Ben Lane, the grounds keeper for this place.”

The name rang a faint bell and I relaxed just a bit. The agent had told me he lived not far from here, and that he might check in on me as he went about getting things ready for the busy season. “Well, it’s nice to meet you, Mr. Lane. Is there something I can do for you?”

He smiled broadly to me, before casting an eye back towards the water, “There is a storm coming in off the lake, Ms. Romen, and it’s something you might not want to be around for.”

“I’m sure I’ll be just fine out here…I’ve been in storms before.”

He nodded twice, tugging at his beard in a manner that I could only assume was a nervous habit, “Welp, it looks to be a nasty one. You should have plenty of candles and flashlights in the kitchen there, just in case the lights go out on you.”

I couldn’t help but smile at him. That voice in the back of my mind lifted her head, attempting to lodge a protest. I was pleased to see that the voice had learned her lesson and was mostly keeping quiet. I nodded to him, “Yeah, there is a drawer full of candles and flashlights, and I’ve got plenty of food out here in case things get nasty. It’s not really going to be so bad that I’d have to leave, is it?”

“It’s looking to be a pretty nasty one. You have a man out here to help, just in case something happens?” Well, there went the feeling of friendly neighborliness. I might not be perfect, but I was capable of fending for myself for one electricity-less night.

I frowned a little, straightening my back, “Mr. Lane, I am perfectly capable of caring for myself out here, even if the electricity does go out. But thank you anyway.”

He tugged ferociously at his beard, and I couldn’t help but wonder if that didn’t hurt, “It might not be a bad idea if you pack up and head into town…there’s a little inn that Mrs. Davies runs, it’s really nice…”

I lifted a brow, putting on my best cool city girl look, “No, I will be just fine out here, thank you very much. I appreciate the warning, but I will be just fine.”

He looked at me appraisingly, and I could tell he wasn't thrilled with the idea of leaving a weak woman all on her own with a big, bad storm rolling in. It was nearly enough to make me vomit. He nodded his head once, reluctantly, “'Course, Ma'am, anytime. You take care now, my number is on the wall by the phone if you need anything.”

“Have a good day, Mr. Lane.” I shut the door on his inquisitive eyes, frowning a little as I did so. Did I really look so weak and pathetic? That I wouldn't even be able to care for myself during a little storm? Well, according to the weather channel, a massive storm front, but still. It was just some weather. With his warning in mind, I set about preparing for the Storm of the Century. I gathered more wood for the fire, fixed myself a platter full of snacky foods, and I constructed a fort of pillows and blankets on the couch where I could curl up and read comfortably until the storm had safely bypassed me.

The first gale hit around 7pm, the sky darkening at a frightening pace. The wind whistled through the tiny summer home, rattling the windows in their panes. Streaks of lighting shot through the sky, clearly visible through the windows. Moments later, the sound of thunder echoed across the lake. I shuddered, pulling my blankets more tightly around my body and opening my book where I had marked it. I had always loved storms as a child, but I had no desire to go outside to watch the light show by myself. I was determined not to be frightened by a little spring storm, and my stubbornness had always been one of my strong points.

I worked diligently on ignoring the raging storm that was happening just outside the door. The wind whipping around on the lake and through the house left me with a vaguely uneasy feeling. Nothing that I could really explain, just…uneasy. I shifted around on the couch, the book mostly ignored as I watched the lightning race through the sky. The thunder and lightening continued their attack on the world, the time between the two shortening with every burst of energy from the skies.

The rain began, a torrential downpour that exploded around the house. It pattered loudly on the roof, and I knew that this was the beginning of a sleepless night. I would never be able to sleep with all the noise, the world around me in total upheaval. I stood, pulling the blanket around me and wandering to the window. I pushed it open just an inch, smiling a little and inhaling deeply. The smell of ozone and rain flooded the house, washing away every other smell.

Through the window, I could hear a faint sound. It was definitely something that had no place in a thunderstorm. It rushed towards me between strokes of thunder and over the sound of the rain. I could barely hear it at first. I didn’t know what it was, but I knew that it was out of place and it left an uneasy lump in my stomach. I stood and wandered towards the window and gazed out, trying to find the source of the sound, peering out between strikes of lightening. There was another thunderclap, and a brief pause in the torrential downpour.

The sound suddenly became painfully crystal clear. It was a child, crying. The sound had seemed to intensify with the last bolt of thunder. Whoever it was sounded utterly terrified, and I didn’t blame them. It was getting pretty insane out there. I didn’t really think before springing into action, I couldn’t very well ignore a child. No matter what danger might be lurking. I grabbed the heavy quilt and pulled on my jacket, slipping into my shoes. I braced myself and pulled the front door open, the wind stealing my breath as it attempted to pull the flimsy door out of my hands. I gasped at the sudden blast of cold – I’d obviously underestimated a spring storm on Lake Michigan.

The cry came again, louder and more desperate. It sounded like a little boy weeping, and I could feel my heart going out to him. I pulled the coat tightly around my body, pulling the door shut behind me as I ran down the steps in the direction of the sound. I called out into the night, peering around for the owner of the pitiful cries. Lightning continued to light the sky, and I used it to pick my way towards the woods.

“Hello? Hello, I’m here to help…where are you, honey?”

The crying paused for a moment and then let out a little scream as a shock of thunder rocked the earth. I could hear his high-pitched voice, choked with sobs of terror, “Here! I’m over here, please help me…”

I turned, rushing towards the sound, gasping for the air that the wind kept stealing from my chest, “Keep talking, sweetheart, I’m on my way. Where are you?”

“I’m here, please help!” the voice broke into fresh sobs, and it sounded as though he was hurt. I could feel my own terror and worry rising as I rushed towards the sound, breaking through a small group of trees.

On the ground in front of me, I saw a small form huddled beneath a tree. He was whimpering and rocking back and forth. A small pale face peered up at me, eyes dark with fear reflected by the bolt of lightning that rang out over us. I rushed over to him, giving him a smile and draping the blanket over him.

“It’s ok, sweetie, I’m here. Come on, we need to get you inside, ok?”

The little boy reached up and I scooped him up, marveling at how light he was. He couldn’t be more then 5 or 6, an adorable child with pale skin, blonde hair and dark eyes, a smattering of freckles across the bridge of his nose and his cheeks. He clung to my neck, letting out another little sob. I hugged him back, patting his back, “It’s alright honey, you’re safe now. ..”

He looked up to me with grateful eyes, and a smile slowly spread across his lips. The wind died down slightly as he spoke, his voice high pitched and giggly. I realized, a bit too late, that you can’t really outrun some things. “He’s not here to help you out, is he Little Bird? Too bad, huh?”

I startled, staring down at the little boy. Lightning flashed across the sky, and I could see that the look on his face that I had taken for fear was actually a look of ecstatic glee. He giggled again, and I could see a flash of the elongated teeth. I let out a scream that was swiftly stolen by the wind, trying to drop the child just as he tightened his arms around my neck in a vice grip.

Two tiny knives slid deep into my neck and I let out another scream, trying desperately to push him away. I was in a panic, my mind and heart both racing as I tried to shake my assailant. He clamped his lips down over the wound, sucking deeply from me. I felt a deep lethargy steal over me as he drank. ‘This is what it’s like to die then. Good show, old girl…got screwed over by your goddamn bleeding heart.’ Tears ran down my face as my mind tried to overcome the hold that he had put me in.

He drank greedily, and from somewhere far away I felt my stomach turn at the obscene slurping noises he was letting out. It felt as though he were ripping my very soul from my body, and I knew it was only a matter of time for me.

From the corner of one tear-filled eye, I saw a blur of movement. Brilliant green eyes flashed in a bold of lightning, and I felt the heavy weight of the demon child being ripped away from me. The relief was momentary though, as the sucking sensation was replaced by a flare of pain that rushed through my body.

I slumped to the ground, one hand clapped over the wound that seemed to be gushing. ‘You’re going to ruin your good coat, you silly goose!’ Not an entirely rational thought, but it was the only one my mind seemed to be capable of forming. I whimpered, fighting against the wave of unconsciousness that was threatening to overcome me. Before me, a familiar figure fought against the tiny demon, a knife appearing in the child's’ hand. Two new figures, from behind the ones already engaged in a deadly dance, emerged slyly from the woods. I gasped, letting out a soft cry.

“Ciaran!” That hurt like hell, but it was necessary. He turned to me briefly and I nodded towards the figures, now rushing towards him. He nodded once, his green eyes on fire. The new attackers were upon him then, and he turned to meet them head on with a snarl.

The world around me went black, the pain fading to a dull throb. In the back of my mind, I had to wonder if I was dying. I found I didn’t really care, and for the first time in a long time, I found some peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment